Lancer Gridiron Club

Shawnee Mission East

Keeping students safe is a top priority for our school district.  We recognize that providing opportunities to access resources that will help to ensure student safety is important.  We want to share with you information about optional opportunities that are being made available to families through ATS HeartCheck, a screening organization supported by local Board Certified Cardiologists.   

According to the March of Dimes, 40,000 babies are born with heart defects each year in the United States.  That’s nearly 800 kids every week.  In as many as 20% of the cases, (8,000 annually), family history plays a significant role.  The remaining 80% are due to other causes that we may not typically consider.  One of those is prescription drug use prior to and during pregnancy.  Many drugs once considered safe are now cause for concern including antibiotics, antidepressants, and even the popular morning sickness drug Zofran.  Additionally, the American Heart Association estimates 9,500 children under 18 experience sudden cardiac arrest annually with only a 5% chance of survival.  Many of these defects go un-noticed until it is too late.

Heart defects come in several forms, both electrical & structural.  Electrical defects can cause the heart to beat irregularly or rapidly, and can even cause it to stop beating altogether.  Structural defects arise from abnormal formation of the heart or major blood vessels and can be due to genetic or developed condition. There are at least 18 distinct types of heart defects with many additional anatomic variations. 

ATS HeartCheck is offering a limited number of heart screenings for the discounted rate of $99 to Shawnee Mission East students and siblings ages 10 and older on Saturday, October 24th in the Shawnee Mission East Gymnasium.  Testing includes an EKG, blood pressure test and echocardiogram (heart ultrasound).  The normal cost for these tests would exceed $1,500, if done in the hospital or doctor’s office.   

ATS HeartCheck and the Shawnee Mission School District feel strongly that we don't want any family missing out on this opportunity due to financial restrictions.  Therefore, financial assistance is available upon request.  There is a very simple form that can be filled out on the ATS website that will determine if you qualify for additional discounts.  Visit, and click "Schedule a Test" to access both the scheduling and the financial assistance form.  These special rates are made possible by grants provided by the Strive for Life Foundation and the Jordan Robert Mann Foundation.  

Appointments are offered on a First Come-First Serve basis and will fill up quickly.  Pre-Registration is required by visiting ATS HeartCheck Online Scheduler and selecting Shawnee Mission East from the Appointment Locator, or calling (913) 735-5760.   

** If you have questions about this opportunity, contact Athletic Testing Solutions at (913) 735-5760.   Do it today!

Matthew Johnson, CAA
Shawnee Mission USD 512

The SM East Lancers travel to Leavenworth to take on the Pioneers on Friday, 10/9.  Game time is 7:00pm!

Individual Photos Were Taken on Saturday, 8/22

If you would like to order copies of the photos, either print and mail in theORDER FORM or purchase through this ONLINE LINK.  A team photo will be taken on October 9.

Team Pictures - Friday, 10/9!
 Team pictures will be taken on Friday, 10/9.  All players should be in uniform on the turf field by 9:30am.

Don't Miss a Game! 

Purchase your All Season Game Passes while supporting the SME All Sports Booster Club.  Memberships and Booster Book Ads are also available.

Click here to order online


Sign Up for Email Updates

President:  Eric Bamford 

Vice President:  Chris Shirling

Treasurer: Mary Shirling 

Secretary: Jenny McDougall

Lancer Gridiron Club
P.O. Box 8693
Prairie Village, KS 66208

Contact Us

​​Gridiron Club News